You know how sometimes the universe keeps sending you the same message? Like if you are interested in buying a new red car all you see is red cars or if you want to be pregnant, all you see is pregnant women. Well, I must be focused on purpose and passion of a small business owner. In the past three weeks I have learnt a few important lessons I wanted to share.
1. Stand for something or you will mean nothing?
Are you doing too many things? Dan Pink states there are two questions that are important to ask.
- What is my sentence? (use this to navigate your life)
- Was I better today than I was yesterday? (use this to motivate you)
2. Show it don’t say it. This was highlighted by a friend Pete the other week and I guess it applies to much of designing your purpose as an organisation. Lip service really is just that. People can feel your purpose if you live it every day. I will give you an example. Previous boyfriends would always drop the line about 12 months in mark ” I love you”. I guess to me it lost a bit of meaning because the words only mean something if they showed, lived it. My husband on the other hand was slower to reveal this sentence but he showed me very early on in our relationship that he loved me. Throwing small pebbles up at my window, tap dancing outside, being patient beyond belief and caring and investing in my and now our dreams. How do you show your purpose for your business? If it is about fun, how do you demonstrate it day-to-day.
The Good Life Project is an example of people getting sure about their purpose. I have added their Creed here as I thought it was inspiring.
Like this? Learn to build a better life at Good Life Project.
3. Live your dream through your customers eyes.
This is the part I have to play. My purpose. To ensure that your purpose, your point of difference is felt, lived and shown to your customers every day. Today your customers are part of the conversation. They often are well researched and have narrowed down solutions to solve their problems. How do you ensure you are on that list? I believe it is about the three steps above.
1. Stand for Something and invest in this purpose everyday with out dilution.
2. Show it, live it so you earn the space and your value is clear.
Vision Mission and Values Template. This helps you identify what your vision is for your business and how you are going to achieve it with your value set.
Values sheet – what values are important to your company. People choose you for the how as much as the what.
Ready to get going? Book a consultation.