Before the internet and social networks buyers had limited ways to obtain the information they needed and so the sell controlled the buying process. Today we are more informed and armed with more resources than ever but we still want to learn at our own pace. They want certain information, assurance, evidence, hand holding and explanations at different stages along their journey to invest in a product or a service with you. This trend in buyer behaviour has forced us to change how we market.
This is where marketing automation has found its niche. Only 1/5 of leads are ready to buy on first touch point, can you nurture them?Marketing automation is a set of steps that are mapped out to strategically provide that ideal lead the next piece of communication be it content, contact or offer that will move them to a purchase.
Marketing automation technology allows you to use software to automate touch points so it can be a repeatable consistent experience. It can provide awesome measurement information, tasks and workflows so that over time you make better marketing decisions.
It use to be that large companies where the only users of Marketing Automation technology but today the vendors providing such software have made it not only more affordable for the small business but easier to use.
What does Marketing Automation software do?
There are a few different modules to most Marketing automation platforms but here are the key ones:
- Lead Generation – via forms, landing pages, integration to social media
- Segmentation – via database (CRM integration)
- Lead nurturing and scoring – ranking leads by criteria
- Relationship marketing – communicating over time (email marketing social media marketing)
- Cross sell and up sell – presenting choices along the lead/ buyers journey
- Retention – communication and offers (campaign management)
- Measurement and RIO – measuring via criteria (Marketing Analytics)
The key advantage of marketing automation I feel is the opportunity to integrate the touch points to the lead or customer and make their journey purposeful. Being able to measure and use analytics to make better marketing decisions is such a valuable insight and interaction opportunities.
Don’t know which automation software to choose? Stuck. We can help.